Friday 10 February 2012

Whispers Under Ground - The Audio News

Pandora White, Orion Books' Audio Supremo, has confirmed that they will be recording 'Whispers Under Ground' this spring so that it can be released simultaneously with the UK version of the book on the 21st June 2012. I don't know about US availability but I'll ask Del Rey and blog it as soon as I know.

Kobna Holbrook-Smith, acting god, will be narrating the book again and because he did such a good job with the multitude of accents in the last book(1) I've thrown in a couple of new ones just to stretch him a bit.

(1) His rendition of the Irregulars out for a night on the tiles had me in stitches.

8 comments:

ABrazier said...

This is MOST EXCELLENT news! : ) Kobna does a fantastic job with the various characters voices and accents and really brings the story to life.

Jane L Hodson said...

Fantastic news! Ben - I love your books when I read them on the page. But when Kobna reads them, I hear nuances and humour that I didn't catch the first time. It's like getting a new book.

Also true of: Lois Mcmaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series when read by Grover Gardner.

Ben Aaronovitch said...

I agree about Grover Gardner who is also incredibly soothing if you want someone to go to sleep too.

Jane L Hodson said...

I was just moseying around Amazon at your books, and came across the interchange you had with a reviewer who was getting their knickers in a twist over your/Peter's repeated use of 'me and Leslie'. It hadn't struck me until that point that one of the reasons why it works so well as an audiobook is because it is a first person narrative that actually reads like a first person narrative.

Unknown said...

Is this still going ahead? Can't wait to get PC Grant back in my car - makes the journey to woork almost bearable!

Unknown said...

Awesome book made better by some of the best voice acting I've heard on an audibook. One of the reasons it works so well is that Kobna's Inspector Nightingale and Peter Grant are so distinct from each other, their banta/conversations feel exactly as they should be.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news - my first experience with your book was through his voice, and it was the best audio book experience I've ever had. I can't even tell you how much I hope for availability in America!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! My first experience with you and Peter was through KHS's voice, and it was glorious. Now I just need to light candles for American availability. Thank you!