Monday 2 May 2016

City Read Panel on Saturday


CITY READ 2016 

In the run up to this years City Read events I will be on stage with the following literary luminaries...

Sebastian Faulks, Gillian Slovo, Claire Tomalin, Louisa Young 

To discuss the joys of setting your work in the greatest city in the world.


WHERE?
 THE BRITISH LIBRARY

WHEN?
SATURDAY 7TH MAY
3:30 PM

Chaired by Kamila Shamsie

Cityread London unites the capital every April by inviting the whole city to pick up the same book set in London and read it together. Cityread events erupt across Greater London in libraries and bookshops, cinemas and stations. This special event, chaired by the novelist Kamila Shamsie, celebrates Cityread’s first five years. It brings together all four living writers whose books have been Cityread’s choices to date. They discuss the joys and challenges of evoking our capital city – Sebastian Faulks with A Week in December, Louisa Young with My Dear, I wanted to tell you, Ben Aaronovitch with Rivers of London, and Gillian Slovo with this year’s Cityread, Ten Days. The first Cityread book, in 2012, was Oliver Twist, and for this the biographer Claire Tomalin speaks about Dickens’s London.

1 comment:

IleanaDU said...

Just read through Broken Homes. Wow! Really love your books. Now I have to wait for my husband to read two books before discussing that twist. He just started #3.

Wanted to let you know that I don't think it's too British. I love learning about London and all those little bits of trivia. Read Body Work Graphic novels also. I'm a visual learner so I love the trivia/information sections at the end.

Questions

(1) You know so much about policing, architecture, car models, and a host of things. I just found this blog. Have you discussed anywhere how you came to know so much about policing and those other subjects? Were you in the police or do you have relatives in the police? Do you just research the subjects?

Did you study architecture? If you discuss these somewhere, please let me know where.
If not, consider these subjects for future blog posts.

(2) The "canine capacitors" - did Falcon secure them so that the Faceless Man couldn't get to them? I haven't finished Foxglove yet but I tried searching & couldn't find any mention.